Frauenkirche

Frauenkirche

The Frauenkirche in Dresden was built in the Baroque style and is considered a magnificent building of Protestant religious architecture. The church has one of the largest domes north of the Alps.
The Dresden Frauenkirche was built from 1726 to 1743 according to George Bähr and became a landmark of the cityscape. At the end of World War II, it was severely damaged during air raids on the city, in February 1945 by the raging firestorm. Shortly thereafter, the church collapsed. In the GDR, the ruin remained and was used as a memorial against war and destruction.
After the collapse of the GDR, the church was rebuilt. The reconstruction was financed mainly by donations and in 2005 the work on the building was completed. On October 30, 2005, a consecration service and ceremony took place in the Frauenkirche. The ruin now became a symbol of reconciliation.

 

 

Image rights:
(1) Frauenkirche Dresden (c) Pixabay_Dieter_G

Wedgewood-Newsletter

Melden Sie sich jetzt an und erhalten Sie regelmäßig Angebote, Tipps und Inspirationen für Ihre nächste Reise

    WE BELIVE IN EXCELLENCE
    Contact
    2021 Wedgewood Germany